Saturday, August 9, 2008

Welcome to the dirty footprint blog

The objective of this blog is to opine on sustainability issues and practices. Join me as I explore this important environmental area.

What is sustainability? Let us look at a definition:
Free Dictionary definition:
Capable of being continued with minimal long-term effect on the environment.

OK that sounds good but you know, that could be rather draconian to our way of life. Seriously, are we going to give up our lifestyle? I think not.

So my definition of sustainability is: the ability to continue improving our way of life without long term effect on the environment.

What I'd like to do in the days, weeks, months, years ahead is to explore this definition and really see if we can keep improving our lifestyles while minimizing our environmental impact. Are there methods we can apply to achieve our goals? Are there behavior changes that are necessary?

Let's explore this together.

Rosemarie

2 comments:

Generose said...

I left one on the other page but I guess I need to redo it for whatever reason. I love what I am reading, keep it up.

FDDoty said...

Hi Rosemarie,
Great to see you have started a blog. You probably don't remember me, but I was the short one on the Delta team at your (DARPA) Petroleum Free Military Workshop in 2005. For the past two years, I've been focusing on a climate/energy solution that you in particular (as a chemical engineer) should appreciate.

We've made major advances toward making renewable fuels (all types) from CO2 and renewable energy. We've shown that fuels and chemicals can be made from CO2 and green H2 at twice the efficiency that was thought likely just three years ago. We prefer wind energy initially, as it is the most cost effective today in the U.S.

We present all the critical technical details on our website, http://Windfuels.com.

We're just beginning to promote it. I'm sure you would have some great suggestions.

Looking forward to your comments and questions.
David Doty